Yes, another coffee and chocolate recipe! How could I not make another when coffee and chocolate are pretty much two of my favorite things ever (and peanut butter of course)! These are some
Java Chip Protein Donuts
I made these in a donut pan. I really like it because it allows you to bake the donuts which is way easier, and healthier than a fried donut. To be honest, I don’t own a fryer and have never actually even fried a donut. And, I really like cake, so you can’t go wrong with cake donuts can you?
To give them the tasty java (coffee) flavor I used some cold brew concentrate. You could also use a shot (or two) of espresso to give you that caffeine and coffee flavor boost.
Anyway, once the donuts were cooked, I made a delicious coffee glaze. It consisted of a scoop of Vanilla ONE Protein
, a bit of strong brewed coffee (chilled), sweetener, and coconut oil. For the sweetener in this recipe, I used Truvia which is a blend of stevia and sugar. It bakes really well, but also has less calories/sugar than standard white granulated sugar.
After I dipped the donuts in the glaze, you know I had to add all kinds of chocolate chips. I actually dipped the donuts in a bowl with some chocolate chips while the glaze was still wet so that the chocolate chips would stick to the donuts. So good! Seriously, these may be some of my favorite donuts in a long time.
Enjoy the recipe below and be sure to tag @macrosupps
on Instagram if you make them!
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
1 small container applesauce (about 1/2 cup)
2 whole eggs (or flax eggs)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (plus more for topping)
2 tbsp. brewed coffee (decaf or regular, or water for less coffee taste)
2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
*Truvia baking blend is a mixture of 1/2 cane sugar and 1/2 stevia to make a great, lower calories sugar alternative that is great for baking. It can be found in the baking aisle of most groceries. If you don’t have it, you can alternatively use 1/2 cup regular granulated sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Add flour, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt to a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together Truvia sweetener, greek yogurt, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Gently mix until a smooth batter forms. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Spray a donut pan with nonstick spray. Spoon batter into a large, gallon ziplock bag. Cut tip off bag and pipe donut batter into the donut pan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Let donuts completely cool once done baking.
- Mix all glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Dip each donut into the glaze. Sprinkle with extra chocolate chips if desired. Enjoy!
🍽Yield: 8 donuts
💪Nutrition: 160 calories, 14 protein, 21 carbs, 4 fat