Who would’ve thought that you could have an epic stack of fluffy french toast while still staying on track with your diet? Coach Greg Doucette made it famous with his recipe, and I made it my own a little bit here with my Anabolic Air Fryer Protein French Toast because everything is better in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Anabolic Protein French Toast
There are really just a few main ingredients that you need to make this one. Of course some bread, and then eggs, or just egg whites for lower calories, and whatever other flavor combos you like.
The egg wash is a simple one with eggs, egg whites, cinnamon, vanilla extract and a bit of almond milk. You can use all egg whites to reduce the fat / calories. You can also add some sweetener like stevia or a bit of sugar free maple syrup to the egg wash to have the base of the french toast sweeter. There are NO RULES!
Using the air fryer is key
This french toast turned out insanely good. A nice crisp, golden brown outer with warm, moist and fluffy inside. The key to getting this is the air fryer.
It is really hard to get that outer crunch while still keeping the inside perfect without the air fryer.
You can cook on a regular pan, and the recipe will still be awesome, but it just won't be as fluffy and golden brown as this one here.
The air fryer has been a game changer for me with recipes like these Air Fryer Protein Donut Holes.
Just look how golden brown and delicious that is.
But of course, it wouldn't be a complete french toast recipe without some toppings to go with it.
Toppings are endless
For the toppings, you guys know I always overdo it. So, I added a protein vanilla greek yogurt cream, blueberries, and some sugar free maple syrup.
For the vanilla protein greek yogurt cream I mixed the following:
- Vanilla ice cream🍦 ONE Protein (or our ONE Vegan Protein)
- Fat free greek yogurt
- A little bit of sugar free pudding mix
Mix it all together and you get a thick, creamy and delicious topping that is packed with protein.
And check out the quick how-to recipe tutorial so you can see the french toast in action!
Now, what you really came for... the recipe for Air Fryer Anabolic Protein French Toast
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 4 slices white bread (white bread is delicious)
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- cinnamon to taste
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- sweetener to taste
- 1 scoop ONE Protein, vanilla ice cream (for topping) “MACROCHEF” saves you 15%
- Blueberries (for topping)
- Sugar free maple syrup for topping
- Preheat air fryer to 400F.
- Add eggs, egg whites, milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and sweetener to taste to a bowl. Whisk.
- Soak bread in egg mixture until saturated. Spray air fryer with nonstick spray. Air fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Mix ONE Protein with milk or water until a vanilla custard consistency. Add to french toast along with blueberries and sugar free maple syrup. Enjoy!
Yield: 4 slices french toast
Nutrition (french toast only): 470 calories, 30 protein, 62 carbs, 12 fat